Wednesday 22 February 2012

Rollin' with the punches (hyuck, hyuck)

I’m alive!

Heaps to catch up on.  Saturday I left the flat determined to get lost.  Immediately cheated by looking at a map.  Got to Trafalgar Square (which I’ve never seen properly as there was a festival on last time I was here) with no problems.  Took absurd tourist photos including this one:



Ended up on The Mall to Buckingham Palace in search of parks.  Completely missed the ginormous Green Park.  Landed on Birdcage Walk where I immediately got POOED on!!!  Happily it was just on my coat sleeve but it wigged me out and suddenly I was surrounded by tons of flying luck machines.  Got out of there quick, said hello to Ben and crossed the Westminster Bridge to meander along the Thames.
Determined to at least try and get lost, I kept darting over and into the streets away from the river but that put me on some less-than-attractive industrial blocks.  Then it started to rain and then it started to rain for real so I ended my adventure anti-climatically by taking the Underground home.
Sunday started The Great Flat Search.   I wish I could just imprint the Tube Map into my eyeballs.

This week at work has actually gotten sort of busy!  Offline rooms are poppin’ at the moment as is getting calls on potential flats every two minutes.  I started the write-up for picture schtuffs and so I’m feeling a bit better now that I have things to focus on.

Yesterday evening I attended practice with the London Rockin’ Rollers!!  I was sick with anticipation allll day.  Showed up and everyone was super nice!  I had to explain a bunch of times that I was not actually on the Gotham team but took 2 rec level sessions with them.

We did about 10 minutes of off-skate drills and then spent the rest of the two hours running drills.  I’ve been not practicing for going on 3 months now so my legs very quickly turned to jelly.  Everyone was super helpful and took time to explain things to me.  I fell A LOT (like, a lot a lot) but always made sure to get up super quickly without putting my hands on the track.  I made the mistake of volunteering to jam right at the end of session which was a terrible idea because I was so tired.  I fell probably about 10 times in 2 minutes which included some stunning wipeouts into chairs!  I hope the coaches were like, welp, at least she’s trying.
These girls seem super organized and the coaches structure practices really well.  It’s clear that if I end up skating with them at all I’ll be on the B team but that’s ok because there’s so much to learn!  They asked me to come back on Thursday which I think is hopeful. 

 Inadvertently landed up on the train with some of the girls from the All-Star team and they invited me out to a Fresh Meat drink-a-thon on Friday.  I was like, well, I’m not sure I’ll actually be skating with you and they were like, sure you are, come out!!  That should be tons o fun, I am sure.

Supposed to get an e-mail in the next day which I hope will detail their assessment.  GAH!  In heaps of pain today but relishing the burn.  :P

Haruko has come back from holiday!  We went out on Monday night and stayed until last call...that’s 11PM.  They ring an actual bell and tell everyone to make the last train home…that’s at midnight!  SO definitely a bit different than the City that actually doesn’t sleep.
I should probably get back to working but I might just go to lunch instead…

No comments:

Post a Comment